Young Americans for Liberty is proud to present YAL U, an interactive, online, campus activism classroom.
If your chapter needs help recruiting new members, organizing events, raising money, selling the ideas of liberty, or improving your activism, you can apply for an expert trainer to "meet" with your chapter on campus — through the power of the internet! — to sharpen your skills and improve your knowledge.
We'll arrange for a custom online training to meet your chapter's specific needs. You tell us your problems. We'll try to help you fix them. And we'll buy your chapter PIZZA!
Dozens of YAL chapters have already applied, so hurry up and tell us what you could use help improving! Apply for a YAL U training at your next chapter meeting today:
Once you have applied and given us some basic information about the challenges your chapter is facing on campus, the lead trainer of YAL U — Brandon Cestrone — will contact you to arrange a date and time to set up a training.
Brandon was the Chapter President at Slippery Rock University and worked through many of the same struggles you may be experiencing now. He'll teach you ways to improve your recruitment, activism, and overall performance so you can take over campus.
- Who: Your chapter members and YAL’s YAL U Ninja, Brandon Cestrone (and other expert trainers).
- What: High-definition video conferencing technology that enables two-way audio and video communication. You can see us, and we can see you. It's like we are in the classroom with you!
- Where: Any room at your university with high-speed Ethernet access (we need the ability to "hard-wire" the Internet connection), Audio/Video equipment, and a projector on a white board. Don't worry, we'll guide you through the hook-up process to get the training running smoothly.
- When: During your chapter meeting, evenings are preferred.
- How: Apply here and work through the details with Brandon.
Sample Training Topics
- Building a Legacy on Campus: How to Work with Administration, Faculty, and other Organizations
- THRIVE: Chapter and Leadership Sustainability
- Become a Rockstar Chapter: Planning and Executing Major Activism Events
- Fundraise Your Way to the Top: How to Raise Funds for Your Chapter
- Be a Liberty Liaison: Strategies of Political Persuasion
- How to Organize and Execute Meetings
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective Activists
- Securing Equal Funding From Your University: A Lecture on Fighting Back
- Be A Liberty Salesman: How to Hook, Pitch, and Close New Members
- How to Document Your Event and Grab Media Attention
- Approachability: How to Get Guys AND Girls to Join Your Chapter
- Figure out what your chapter is good at doing — and also what areas of your activism need some work. Whether it's approachability, working with your school administration, fundraising, or anything else, we're ready to help.
- Determine some times and dates which will work for your chapter leadership.
- Fill out this quick and simple YALU U application. If your chapter is selected for a YAL U training, we'll be in touch soon.
- Read the YAL U Check List. Complete it before the training begins.
- Read the WebEx Guide and set up your account with Web-Ex. Make sure you test out the software at least a day before the training so we don't run into technical difficulties. We will email you the link to the meeting.
- Make sure all your participating members are aware of the training time and location. You must have at least ten chapter members participating for the training to happen. (Note: If you have a chapter with fewer than ten members, email Brandon at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your options.)
- Expect a call from YAL a few days before the training. We will go over all the details of the training with you.
- Arrive 45 minutes early to your meeting to set up and test the equipment with Brandon.
- Remind everyone else to arrive to your meeting on time.
- After your meeting, keep an eye out for an email with a feedback form. We need your input so we can improve the program!