Alabama Republican Liberty Caucus Evening with Governor Gary Johnson
Alabama Republican Liberty Caucus Evening with Governor Gary Johnson - Wednesday, November 17 from 7:00pm to 8:30pm at Samford University in Homewood, Alabama.
In an event co-sponsored by the Samford College Republicans and the Alabama Republican Liberty Caucus, former New Mexico Governor Gary Johnson will be speaking at Samford University on Wednesday evening, November 17th, 2010.
A successful small businessman, triathlete, marathon runner and mountain climber, Governor Johnson is a Tea Party favorite and a likely 2012 Republican presidential candidate. He currently serves as the Honorary Chairman of the Our America Initiative.
For years, he’s vocalized his support for school vouchers, decreased government spending, deficit elimination, lowering taxes, revitalization of the economy and the promotion of entrepreneurship and privatization.
It’s one thing to be a mountain climber. It’s another to reach the summit of Mount Everest, making the climb with a broken leg. Applying the same dedication to conservative politics, Johnson has done a lot more than simply talk about the issues – he has actually achieved them. Here are some of Johnson’s accomplishments from 1995 to 2003:
• Elimination of New Mexico’s budget deficit
• Cut rate of growth in state government in half
• Privatized half of the state’s prisons
• Shifted state Medicaid to managed care
• Reduced state employees by over 1,000, with no firings
• During his term, New Mexico experience the longest period without a tax increase in the state’s history
• While in office, Governor Johnson vetoed 750 bills (which is about equal to all the combined vetoes of the other 49 Governors in the country at the time) and thousands of line item vetoed bills.
Former Governor Johnson will be speaking at 7pm at Samford’s Brock Forum. The event is open to students, the general public and the media. While reservations are not required, we ask that you RSVP on Facebook here.
Additional questions may be directed to Leanna Cannafax of the Sanford College Republicans at email@example.com or Stephen Gordon of the Alabama Republican Liberty Caucus at firstname.lastname@example.org or (256) 874-2985.
Join the Facebook group here.